plant evolution

Virginia Berg Virginia.Berg at uni.edu
Wed Aug 30 09:49:12 EST 2000

I received the following (solicited) message from a student in a non-majors'
class.

"I was wondering if you could post some key sources that explain the
evolution of plants. I was just wondering where the scientists get their
information about plant evolution over hundreds of millions of years. Isn't
most of this information just speculation?  I would greatly appreciate it if
you could provide some more insight on this.  Thanks!"

(Iowa freshman: polite and cheerful.)  I would guess that his mind is made
up, but I do want to be able to provide sources for him.  Can anybody help
me?  Web addresses would be especially useful.

My greatest victory in this department was a student who once wrote, "I
don't believe it happend this way, but for the first time I understand why
others do."  Education happens!

--Gini Berg

Today three billion people will eat rice.
The genome is being sequenced.

Virginia Berg  (bergv at uni.edu)
Biology Department 0421
University of Northern Iowa