plant evolution

Monique Reed monique at
Wed Aug 30 11:46:12 EST 2000

One or another of the recent papers/projects dealing with phylogeny of
green plants, land plants, or just the angiosperms, as deduced from
DNA sequencing might help a student visualize how researchers can
track change over time.  I've lost my bookmark for the Angiosperm
Phylogeny Group, which published a monumental paper, but the citation
is: Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (1998). An ordinal classification for
the families of Flowering Plants. Ann. Missouri Bot Gard. 85, 531–553.

Manhart, J.R. and J.D. Palmer. 1990. The gain of two chloroplast tRNA
introns marks the green algal ancestors of land plants. Nature

M. Reed