evolution

Virginia Berg Virginia.Berg at uni.edu
Thu Aug 31 10:04:51 EST 2000

Not strictly plants, but....A colleague handed me a copy of the US National
Academy of Science's book, Teaching about Evolution and the Nature of
Science.  It is terrific. It can be ordered or read online at

http://books.nap.edu/catalog/5787.html

The most useful chapter, easy to read online, is Freqently asked Questionss
about Evolution and the Nature of Science, 5 calm and potent pages. It is at

http://books.nap.edu/books/0309063647/html/55.html#pagetop

The challenge for those who are determined not to believe is to show them we
have a rational basis for why we believe.  Some general education (this
source) plus some accessible plant stories (thank you), plus some high-tech
work that shows that this is not just made up, is probably the perfect
combination.  Meanwhile, those pizza and wine meetings sound good, though we
could never manage them here. [The pizza part would be fine.]

--Gini Berg

Today three billion people will eat rice.
The genome is being sequenced.

Virginia Berg  (bergv at uni.edu)
Biology Department 0421
University of Northern Iowa