Grasses question

Jensen, Douglas P. doug.jensen at converse.edu
Mon Dec 4 12:45:37 EST 2000

On a similar note, Humanistic Botany, by Tippo and Stern (1977) has a =
list
of "Twelve Plants Standing Between Man and Starvation."  The most
representation is grasses, but not the majority.
(1) wheat, (2)corn, (3)rice, (4)sugar cane (grasses)
(5) Irish potato (nightshade)
(6) sweet potato (I think Convolvulaceae, but I always get it mixed up =
with
yams)
(7) cassava, manioc, tapioca (same plant--Euphorbiaceae)
(8) sugar beet (spinach family)
(9) soybean (10) common bean (bean family)
(11) coconut (palm)
(12) banana (banana)

>From this, I'd say the missing plants in your list are sugar cane and
sorghum.  Personally, I think the list from Tippo and Stern has more
important plants.  I don't think many people survive on barley, oats, =
and
rye, but this really is a debatable topic, and all the plants are =
important
to many people.

Doug	=09