Update tree-sitter Ginkgo in Ashland, Oregon

Lee Hadden hadden at wingate.edu
Mon Dec 4 17:48:45 EST 2000

Now that this topic and "dialogue" have risen to the time consumption [and
possibly interest] level of the Florida event  : ), can we get on to
something different and possible intriguing or helpful?  This almost
borders on spam!  [My tongue is halfway in my mouth, but of course you
can't see that.]

Despite the fact that my dissertation research was with Ginkgo and I have a
strange fondness and affinity for it, especially its seeds which NO ONE
understands, Ginkgoes aren't really in much danger in the areas in which
I've seen them.  At least not until they're 25 years old or so and the
female trees set seed when some people want to get rid of them. The seeds
germinate readily [I have several seedlings in the greenhouse and am
getting ready to plant more from the seeds our young campus tree provided]
and so few things bother the trees, other than people, that with the
current specimens there is probably little danger to their continued
existence.

However, I do respect and revere age [more so with each passing year!] and
landmark specimens ought to get some special consideration.  Gone is gone
forever, even if the species is not in particular danger.  And it takes
along time for nature to "replace" it.

Lee Hadden
Professor of Biology
Department of Biology