Ginkgo

Rick Toomey toomey at museum.state.il.us
Tue Dec 5 09:10:22 EST 2000

Hello,

CorK wrote:

> On 4 Dec 2000 21:39:40 GMT, una at mercury.cis.yale.edu (Una Smith)
> wrote:
>

> >kwantenzap at xs4all.nl (CorK) writes:
> >
> >>It might well be the first tree on earth, you're not well informed.
> >
> >It is certainly not the first tree on earth.  CorK, I suggest you go
> >*read a paleobotany textbook*;  several good ones have already been
> >cited in this thread.
>
> I have.

CorK, since you indicate that you have read a paleobotany text,
perhaps you could tell us which one supports your claim that
the ginkgo "might well be the first tree on earth."  As a
paleontologist,
I would definitely support Una's statement that it is certainly
not the first tree on earth.  In fact, it is not even close.
Trees predate the ginkgo line (let alone the genus Ginkgo), by something
like 50 million years.

Rick Toomey
Illinois State Museum
toomey at museum.state.il.us