Ethylene for syngamy events?

"KONING,ROSS E. Biology KONING at easternct.edu
Tue Dec 5 15:08:20 EST 2000

Hi Scott,

Indeed I don't know the answer to that one...
whether wound-induced ethylene plays any
role in the further "ripening" of the aril or in
the events leading to syngamy...or not.  I
suspect the former but have no inclinations
about the latter, and I don't know of literature
on the subject, though it may exist.

I kind of wish I had a big, old female ginkgo to
produce me some ovules for testing these ideas.

I have been after our physical plant staff to keep
diversity of new plantings high on the "design concept"
for our campus, and they finally planted ginkgos
but they look to "columnar" to me...I think they are
the all-male common-clone that is sold by
distributors.

ross

Professor Ross E. Koning, PhD
Chapter President ECSU-AAUP