Are there "Identical Twin" plants?

George Hammond ghammond at
Sat Dec 16 02:31:28 EST 2000

Dennis G. wrote:
> George Hammond <ghammond at> wrote:
> >
> >"Asexual reproduction does not allow genetic variation,
> >but guarantees reproduction (no dependence on others).
> >It rapidly increases numbers of an organism and keeps
> >its desired combination of traits."
> >
> True. If the asexual technique is sufficiently rigid and exact
> >"Economically speaking, it is very beneficial to reproduce
> >plants asexually. It guarantees a "perfect" product every
> >time because once the desired combination of genes is found,
> >there is no need to risk losing it through sexual reproduction."
> >
> The basis of floriculture .
> >  The reason I ask, is that the question has come up as to
> >whether you can actually PROVE that there is such a thing as
> >a "growth curve variation" which is ABSOLUTELY INDEPENDENT
> >of "genetics".  It seems to me, simply measuring the yearly
> >crop yield variation in such a planting of "Identical Twin
> >Potatoes" would prove that such a thing exists.  Has this
> >already been proven.  Is it a commonly known biological
> >fact of Plant Biology?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >George Hammond, M.S. Physics/Psychology
> Perhaps controlling for influences on growth other than genetics would be
> impractical on the scale of a 100 acre field. In a lab, it may be possible.

GH:  You've totally missed the point. I DON'T WANT TO CONTROL ANYTHING.
     What I want to know is, what is the Standard Deviation of plant
     growth in the "real environment" when we are talking strictly about
     a crop of geneetically identical plants?
       Now, somebody in agriculture must KNOW the answer to this, say
     for potatoes, or onions or some other asexual crop plant.

George Hammond, M.S. Physics
Email:    ghammond at