Fluorescent microscope

David Kirschtel kirschte at msu.edu
Tue Dec 19 14:58:26 EST 2000

Nancy,

Should be able to see the individual chloroplasts flouresce in live
material. If you want to go beyond "higher" plants you can stain the oil
droplets in diatoms with Nile red (Greenspan et al, 1985, J. Cell
Biology. pp 965-973).

Nancy Kirkpatrick wrote:

> My department just purchased a fluorescent microscope and I would like to introduce it to my cell biology lab.  Since I'm a botanist, most of my cell labs are plant in nature, rather than rat liver.  Can some of you suggest some stains I might purchase or some specimens that fluoresce naturally.  I have several ideas, but it's been a while since I had access to such a scope and I'm sure you all can add to my body of knowledge.

  David Kirschtel, Ph.D. * kirschte at pilot.msu.edu * 517.432.0898
    112 N Kedzie Lab * Mich State Univ * E Lansing, MI * 48824