Polarization filters

Gary Cote gcote at runet.edu
Mon Jan 31 08:23:20 EST 2000

Dear plant-ed folks:

Roxann Fisher wrote:

>Dear plant-ed folks:
>I'm teaching Botany for the first time this semester and I want to get
>some slides for the class that aren't available from Carolina.  What are
>other sources for slides?  Also, I remember when I was a TA we had
>polarizing sets that consisted of two small, round, flat things
>(polarizing film in a frame?).  We placed one on the light source and
>held the other in front of the eyepiece and rotated it.  Does this sound
>fmailiar to anyone and does anyone know where I can get these?  Thanks!

I don't know about the anatomy slides, but the polarization sets are
available from Ward's Scientific.  I got a dozen of them for Cell Biology
lab.  They are square and come in pairs.  I have students place one over
the light (for short periods) and hold the other between the eyepiece and
their eye and then rotate it.  I use them to give the students a taste of
polarization microscopy and to examine an unusual cell, the niduloblasts of
Dieffenbachia leaves.  When the students do it right they love it.  Hope
this helps.

Dr. Gary Coté
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology
Box 6931
Radford University
Radford, VA 24142-6931

Ph: 540-831-5630
Fax: 540-831-6615
email: gcote at runet.edu

More information about the Plant-ed mailing list