window plant

sjohnson at sjohnson at
Thu Jul 20 09:47:52 EST 2000

in our nonmajors biology course, there is not much that is
experimental in the lab sequence, and space is extremely limited.
so, last semester, i had students grow pea plants (innoculated and
control) at home on their windowsills. they maintained journals and
growth data was collected and analyzed after 7 weeks of growth. i
felt like students got involved in the project and enjoyed it. however,
a lot of the peas did not grow well. i had chosen peas because the
flower is pretty and the one we used should have had a pleasant
fragrance. by the end of the semester, few students reported
flowering, and a lot of the plants were sickly or dead.

can anybody suggest a plant that can be grown from seed that will
grow well under low light conditions?

despite getting off to a poor start last spring, i'm still excited about
the possibilities inherent in this class effort at generating real
experimental data. any advice will be appreciated.

Sandra L. Johnson, Ph.D.
Plant Physiological Ecologist
Middle Tennessee State University
Biology Department     PO Box 60