Radish in hydroponic culture system

John Hewitson john_hewitson at breathe.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 07:25:54 EST 2000

Carsten Richter wrote on 6/6/00 12:02 pm

>Has anyone experience with the growth of radish in a hydroponic system?
>We at the Humboldt-University Berlin would like to grow radish in a gastight
>plant growth chamber, which is able to keep all parameters for plant growth
>very constant. It also allows measurement of photosynthesis and respiration.
>First trials with clay pellets and Lewatit HD5 as fertilizer have not been
>satisfying.You can find live pictures of the growing radish under:
>
>www.gms-biobox.de
>
>Who has done something like that before or has any ideas or hints?
>
>Carsten Richter

Carsten,

At Science and Plants for Schools (www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk), we have
used radish grown in hydroponic conditions (perlite and sand in old film
canisters with capillary matting wicks) for experiments on mineral
nutrition under a light bank of fluorescent tubes.

You will find our technique published in:-

JF Hewitson and R Price "Plant mineral nutrition in the classroom: the
radish, Raphanus sativus L is a good plant for such studies."

School Science Review Sept 1994 76 (274) p45-55

An improvement to the technique using rockwool blocks was suggested by
some other authors (also in SSR) and I can find that reference in a day
or so.

Please get in touch if this is of interest.

John

Dr. John Hewitson (Oundle School)
Bramston Garden Cottage, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 4BG UK
Phone and Fax +44 (0) 1832 272209
email john_hewitson at breathe.co.uk