Need help IDing submersed plant

Stephen Jankalski CEREOID at prodigy.net
Tue Jun 13 15:33:18 EST 2000

Except that the leaves of Cabomba look nothing at all like a Myriophyllum.
The former have palmately dissected leaves while the latter have pinnately
dissected leaves.

Also Cabomba have 3 sepals and 3 petals not 5 petals like you said.

Hottonia palustris would be a much better match for the inadequate
description you gave.

*******************
"Helen Woods" <hwoods at vims.edu> wrote in message
news:3945A681.E3434411 at vims.edu...
Found it, finally!  Ever heard of Cabomba carolinia?  It's in the
watershield family but has a highly reduced "shield" that looks almost like
the bracts of the flower.  The majotity of the plant in submersed and
resembles a milfoil.  It's quite beautiful!
Helen

Helen Woods wrote:
I found a freshwater sumberged plant in a stream in the lower Chesapeake
Bay watershed yesterday.  It resembles plants of the genus Myriophyllum
in many ways but does not fit any in my keys.  It has a reddish stem,
brownish leaves, opposite feathery brownish leaves, and emergent
violet/white flowers with 5 petals and 6 stamens.  Any ideas???
Helen