Getting rid of unwanted trees Help!

mystic mystic at lcc.net
Sun Jun 25 01:21:16 EST 2000

Phyloe wrote:

>   My house has rental property on two sides.  The renters do not care about
> yard care and the landlord does not worry about it either.  The result is
> that there are trees growing on the back half of the lots.  These trees over
> hang my yard and drop limbs, leaves, walnuts, and berries in my yard.  In
> addition the limbs hang over and prevent me from walking in parts of the
> yard.  I want to kill the trees back so they do not intrude on my property.
> I have a constant battle with the weed/vines in my fence because no one
> bothers with this overgrowth.  How can I kill the trees so they will not
> cause me these problems.  Normally I like trees and have two 50 year old
> Oaks in my yard which are home to several squirrels.
> Phyloe

You can't kill trees of that size without poisoning half the yard and
possibly affecting the roots of things in your own yard.  Have a tree
company come in a cut back the limbs to your fence line.  If the
property  owner screams, he hasn't got a court case (because those limbs
were technically on your property), but if you effectively trespass by
introducing a chemical to kill the trees on HIS property, it just might
cost you more than you'd be willing to pay.  Don't be shy about using
herbicide to get rid of the weeds on the fence. Spray well at the base,
and there will be fewer and fewer invasions every year.

Appleman