banana starch

Kathleen Archer Kathleen.Archer at trincoll.edu
Fri Mar 3 17:11:53 EST 2000

Dear Folks,

A recent e-mail set off an inactive neuron, reminding me to post a little
nugget for those who might be interested.  In showing students starch
grains, I found it especially useful to have a green and an over-ripe
banana.  Since banana is so soft, it is far easier for students to get a
good slide of living tissue, than if they have to cut a thin section of
potato.  With the green and over-ripe banana, you can show the original and
diminishing size of the banana starch grain as the starch is converted to
sugar.

Cheers,
Kath Archer