exams (rant part II)

Grant R. Cramer cramer at med.unr.edu
Fri Mar 3 19:24:35 EST 2000

Monique,
I have also encountered this attitude. I now take it as a given that most of
my students are not seriously interested in plants. So I do things to keep
them involved and force them to keep up. For example, I give weekly quizzes.
I also email bonus questions after each class. For my general plant biology
class, I made of major overhaul of the format, to try to make it more
interesting to the student so that they were motivated to learn. I also
included field trips and debates on serious issues, so that I am actually
turning a number of students on to plants who weren't previously interested.
I would suggest that you exam what your goals in the class are (what do you
hope or think your students will come away with) and then figure out how you
can best achieve it. That's what I had to do.
Hope that helps,
Grant
--
Grant R. Cramer