exams (rant)

Tom Stone tstone at cyclewise.com
Sat Mar 4 07:55:36 EST 2000

Instead of sympathy, I will try to offer you some encouragement.  25 years
after graduating from college, I am more fascinated by botany now than
when I was in school.  As I look back at my botany classes, I was bored,
or hung over, or more interested in what we were going to do after school
was over for the day. BUT, the seed of interest was planted by my
professors.  That basic knowledge stuck with me, I still remember the
latin names we were forced to learn.  I am still looking back on that
basic learning as the foundation of where I have moved on to in my life.

Last week, my high school daughter (who wonders how such dumb parents can
exist) and her honor student friends were stumped on some study questions
for a botany exam.  You should have seen the look  on her face when I
whipped out the answers, and was right!

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to meet some of my professors at
a retirement party for one of them.  I made it a point to thank them for
that seed of knowledge and interest that they planted over a quarter
century ago.

Your students do not have the opportunity to apply what they are learning,
yet.  The wisdom and curiosity about botany that you have shared with them
is now their responsibility.  What they do with it, and their lives, is
all up to them.  They just don't realize that yet.

Plant the seed, apply the pre plant fertilizer, add some water and start
the process.  How the crop turns out, will take a while to see.