matters that matter

Grant R. Cramer cramer at med.unr.edu
Sat Mar 4 23:32:35 EST 2000

Lee,
I am trained as a Plant Physiologist. I have never take Plant Taxonomy or a
Plant Systematics course. Frankly, I find those subjects somewhat boring
(please forgive me). As I said earlier, I completely redesigned my  general
plant biology class from a standard botany text (see my syllabus and choice
of  text for  my Plant Bio 330 class on my web page below). I teach my class
with what I think are current and interesting topics that will interest the
students. I try to make the course fun, it is not especially challenging
academically. I leave that for my Plant Physiology class that I teach later.
I don't worry that they will know everything. It is not possible at my
school. I essentially teach the only two plant classes at our school. In
Plant Biology, I give them a little field work by making them collect plants
and identify them (genus only). We talk about human population pressures,
agriculture and environmental issues. The most popular part of the course
concerns herbal and medicinal plants. A common thread through out is
biotechnology. Since I changed to this format, not only have I enjoyed
teaching it more, but the response from my students has been very positive.
Hopefully, they leave the class stimulated, wanting to learn more, and go on
to learn more on their own or by taking more classes.
--
Grant R. Cramer
Associate Professor
email: cramer at unr.edu