exams (rant part II)

Beverly Brown bjbrown at naz.edu
Mon Mar 6 10:14:45 EST 2000

Hi all!

Yes, I have the same problem.  Students have to take plant biology and don't really
get excited about the idea of studying plants.  I decided I wanted them to
understand how plants are so vital to their lives, and that plants could be fun.  I
tried out a few projects that may sound a bit  "hokey" but the students really got
involved in several of them.

24 hours of plants -

The first day of class I tell them to write down EVERY time they interact with a
plant for 24 hours and to bring it in next class period.  Students show up with
10-20 items on their list.  About 2/3 through the semester I make the same
assignment again after repeatedly pointing out how plants impact our lives.  Of
course, they ask how many need to be on their list, and I tell them 100. And they
need to include the scientific names.   Yes, they groan.  This assignment can meet
with resistance but just about everyone comes up with 90 or so.  Somewhere I hope it
sinks in that plants are IMPORTANT.  We'll see.  The process of digging around for
names of plants also seemed to expose them to a variety of plant taxonomic info as
well.

Design a garden

Another assignment was to design a garden, along a theme (I suggest several,
including design gardens to go around our greenhouse) so that something is always
blooming and growth patterns of plants are taken into account.  Again, a drawing,
list of plants with scientific names and any pertinent info is submitted.  I was
amazed at what they came up with.

An alternative project was to create a Victorian "tussy-mussy" with a specific
message.  In the Victorian era people really got into sending messages with flowers
- way before FTD.  The criteria were that the plants should be available at roughly
the same time in the year, and that there should be a distinct message.  They could
draw the bouquet, paste pictures of the flowers (for the non-artistic), or actually
construct the bouquet.  I was amazed at what they did.  The best one was from one of
the male students who created a proposal bouquet for his girlfriend, complete with
wonderfully romantic quotes about each of the flowers.

On a completely different note, I did a sort of forensic botany lab which helped
them work on fruit identification, habitat characteristics, and reasoning skills.
It seemed to go over fairly well.

Also, this year I brought in differenct foods  to class (we like to stress ethnic
diversity so I chose foods from around the world they probably didn't know).  Next
year the students are bringing in the foods and doing short PowerPoint talks on
them.  (I am using this approach in microbiology this semester - foods where
microbes are essential to production) and it is working quite well.

One advantage in my case is small class size, so some of there are more feasible
with 16 than with 93.

I would love to hear others ideas - it is rare when we have a motivated botany
student!

Beverly

--

Beverly J. Brown, Ph.D.                Phone:  716-389-2555
Nazareth College of Rochester       Fax:      716-586-2452
Biology Department                      E-mail: bjbrown at naz.edu
4245 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618-3790