teaching plant biology

Carl Pike PIKE at rsbs.anu.edu.au
Mon Mar 6 18:02:49 EST 2000

Posted for Talbot Brooks

    In dealing with students and plant biology, I have found that indeed the
subject area is broad and the opportunity to really get interested in the
subject limited.  I share Carl's thoughts in that relating the subject to
issues of the day is the best way to make a connection with students.  Mind
you I am not a regular lecturer and have not faced the disinterested
minions, but rather was once been one of them - I loathed my introductory
Botany class.  Yet somehow, though I started out down the med school track,
I've reached my final semester and am finishing my Ph.D. in Plant Biology.
Through some teaching and tutoring I've found positive responses when I
discuss plants from the perspective of forensics, global change,
pharmacology (though my conscience twinges a bit when more "recreational"
uses for this area come around), and taxonomy when linked with biotech and
economic potentials (tell 'em they can make serious $$$ and they'll sit up
and listen).  I also wanted to share some approaches by Dr. David Walker -
I've found him to be a great help to me, perhaps the approach he takes may
help you as well (take a look at the first chapter of Like Clockwork).

Talbot J. Brooks
Graduate Student Researcher
4331 E. Broadway Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85040