exams (rant)

David Starrett starrett at cstl.semo.edu
Tue Mar 7 13:55:07 EST 2000

At 10:38 AM 3/7/00, Beverly Brown wrote:
>Ross,
>
>This comment really strikes a nerve!  I have recently and repeatedly had
>conversations here with faculty, some with many years under their belt.
>They all note that students are more demanding and apparently feeling less
>responsible for their grades.  Some have termed this a "consumer
>mentality".  It is much broader than just botany, and therefore probably a
>bit broad for this list.  But, it certainly is something that we have to
>deal with!

Yes, we have had the same conversations here, REPEATEDLY.  As Director of
the Learning Center, I hear a lot of these concerns.  It's the applied,
Votech education that students seem to be wanting rather than a liberal
arts education.  It's the courses that get them to pass the MCAT that they
want, rather than learning other useless biology stuff (i.e. plants!)

Dave

/^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\
|  Dr. David Starrett, Director                        |
|  Center for Scholarship in Teaching and Learning     |
|  MS 4650, 1 University Plaza                         |
|  Southeast Missouri State University                 |
|  Cape Girardeau, MO 63701                 \          |
|  Ph: (573) 651-2298                       /\         |
|  Fax: (573) 986-6858                     (__)        |
|  email: starrett at cstl.semo.edu                       |
|  WWW: http://biology.semo.edu/starrett/starrhpg.html |