my boston fern is infested

Kevin M. Windisch kmwindisch at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 8 02:27:04 EST 2000

My beloved boston fern, Gertie (yes I name my plants) is infested. The bugs
start as white lumps the size of a piece of short grain rice (sweetrice)
which later turn brown. They are adherrent to the stalks of the fern from
the base out to the apex, but do not seem to attach themselves to the
leaves). They appear to hold on the the fern via a glue that they secrete as
opposed to using limbs.
For what it is worth, we live in northern nevada (Reno) and she is a
strictly indoor plant.

Does anybody know what this is and how to kill it without harming the
fern???

Please reply directly to my email.

Time is of the essence, she is dying.

Thanks