Germinating Cycas

Lee Hadden hadden at wingate.edu
Wed Mar 8 20:04:43 EST 2000

Doug,  You might try this site

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html

from which the following was copied:

2. Palms; Banana; Coffee; Mini-Orange; Tea; Cycads and similar.

All these items can take several months to germinate and are very
erratic in germination. Soak for at least 2 hours in warm water before
sowing. (After soaking the parchment shell on the
Coffee seeds should be removed with the fingernail). Sow in Levington or
Arthur Bowers compost and place in the dark in a temperature of 75F,
keeping the compost moist at all times, but not wet. Inspect regularly
and occasionally dig around in the compost with a penknife. We normally
sow our seeds just below the surface of the soilatid we have found that
sometimes they make a very vigorous root without producing a shoot at
all. If you find a seed with a root then it should be excavated and
potted up into a 3-4' pot immediately when it will produce a shoot.
Cycads prefer to be potted up into a compost of half sand and half peat.
The Tea requires the above treatment but in a lower temperature of
60-65'F.

Some other sites of possible interest are:

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/cycads/Cycas/farm/
http://www.pacsoa.org.au/cycads/Cycas/index.html
http://plantnet.rbgsyd.gov.au/PlantNet/cycad/cyckey.html

Hope these help or at least link you to something that does.

Lee Hadden
Professor and Chair,
Department of Biology
Wingate University