Germinating Cycas

mel turner mturner at snipthis.acpub.duke.edu
Thu Mar 9 09:45:24 EST 2000

In article <38C6C71B.8AED4795 at converse.edu>, doug.jensen at Converse.edu
wrote...

>Everyone,
>    A couple weeks ago, I "collected" several Cycas seeds from cultivated
>plants.  There was a male cone on a nearby plant, so I assume some may have
been
>fertilized.  They range in size from about 1cm to 3cm across.
>    Does anyone have experience germinating and growing cycads from seed?
Do I
>need to treat them in any way?

As I vaguely remember growing them, try removing the fleshy outer layer of
the seed coat, and immediately plant them in some type of moist medium [as in
many tropical plants, drying out might be fatal to the seeds]. The seeds may
take a very long time to germinate [they first have to grow the
initially-minute embryo up to full size]. It may take many months before any
will germinate.

Good luck with your Cycas seeds