H2O comes out of PS?

John Hewitson john_hewitson at breathe.co.uk
Sat Mar 11 05:35:06 EST 2000

Scott J. Brenkert wrote on 11/3/00 8:49 am

>I think the formula is:  6CO2 + 6H2O --> C6H12O6 + 6O2

I teach that the formula is actually 6CO2 + 12H2O --> C6H12O6 + 6H2O + 6O2

Light is used to split H2O releasing O2 and producing ATP (from ADP + Pi)
and reduced NADPH2 - this takes place on the thlakoids of the chloroplast.

The NADPH2 is used in the Calvin cycle to reduce CO2 and one of the
byproducts of one (?) of the stages of the Calvin cycle of reactions is
H2O.  The H in this water will have come via the NADPH2 and the O in this
water has come from CO2.  This takes place in the stroma of the
chloroplast.

I bet this is an oversimplification, but it satisfies me and most 17 year
olds.

Dr. John Hewitson (Oundle School)
Bramston Garden Cottage, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 4BG UK
Phone and Fax +44 (0) 1832 272209
email john_hewitson at breathe.co.uk