any way to quicked the cold stratifying time?

Henry Bernard Schumacher hschuma at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
Mon Mar 13 13:44:45 EST 2000

Hello all,
 I'm an undergrad and am doing a greenhouse experiment with live oak and
sweet gum seeds.  I've got to cold stratify the seeds for 30-60 days
before they'll break dormancy and I was wondering if there was any way
that I can speed up that process.  I heard from a grad student that
it might be possible to break dormancy with far-red, or infra-red
light.  Does anyone know more about this, or know where I can go to find
out more about this?  Thanks a lot.
By the way, I've really been enjoying the dialogue on how to get students
more interested in classes, especially the intro level ones.

Hank Schumacher