Matters that matter

Bill Purves purves at THUBAN.AC.HMC.EDU
Mon Mar 13 15:25:27 EST 2000

A few days ago, we were talking about things that might help
stimulate student interest.  Projects were mentioned...

>From time to time I have referred to things that have been tried
at Harvey Mudd College, which has a small biology department that
has been quite innovative in a number of ways.

My thanks to Nancy Hamlett, professor and chair of that department,
who has just put the web page for their introductory, one-semester
biology course into an area where it can be accessed from all
over the world.  The department's home page has always been public,
but the course pages have been private.  Nancy and the rest of
the department agreed that having the Biology 52 page open to all
could be helpful in both directions.  Perhaps some of their ideas
will appeal to some of you, and perhaps some of you will have
suggestions you'd like me to pass on to Nancy and the others.

Biology 52 is a BIOLOGY course required of every student in
the college (a college of science and engineering); it also is
the first course taken by majors.  It is clearly not long
on botanical topics.  However, a number of the ideas are transferable.

The Bio 52 web page is:  http://www4.hmc.edu:8001/biology/52
Once on the page, take a look at the PROJECTS section.  I believe
there are three pages of examples.

And you might click on the little critter that appears in the
upper left corner of the http://www4.hmc.edu:8001/biology/52 page.
It relates marginally to my history at the college ;-)

I hope some of you will find the Bio 52 page of interest.

(bill)

William K. Purves      Vice President/Editorial Director
The Mona Group LLC                     West Coast Office
2817 N. Mountain Avenue              phone: 909.626.4859
Claremont, CA 91711-1550               fax: 909.626.7030
              e-mail: purves at monagroup.com
           http://www2.hmc.edu/bio/purves.html
                http://www.monagroup.com