guard cells in onion bulb epidermal cells

gross at georgian.edu gross at georgian.edu
Mon Mar 13 16:50:34 EST 2000

     Hi everyone,

     Today we were looking at plasmolysis in red onion bulb epidermal
     cells in sucrose solutions of various concentrations, and I was
     surprised to hear a student exclaim that she had found a stomate.
     Sure enough there was one, surrounded by guard cells, and we saw
     another in a section of the same epidermal peel.  I've been doing
     this lab once a year for several years and have never found any
     before.  I know the bulb is mostly made up of modified leaves so I
     suppose the finding isn't that unusual, but I am wondering if others
     have found guard cells in these tissues?  These sections were only
     about 1/3 of the way into the bulb so we weren't close to the center
     of the bulb.

     Mike Gross, Ph.D.
     Associate Professor of Biology
     Chairperson, Biology Department