photosynthesis lab

Ross Koning koning at ecsuc.ctstateu.edu
Tue Mar 14 13:29:29 EST 2000

Hi Jon!

I did the "negative" thing with my class a few years ago.
I used a digital camera, tweaked the photos for higher
contrast using photoshop, inverted them to negative, and
printed them onto transparency stock in the laser printer.
These made nice big negatives for the project. We got
some leaves with FANTASTIC results. Some were barely-passing.

I too had permanence problems. I think the volatility of
iodine plays a role in that. There are some other stains
that will color starch...a purple one I recall from
grad-school days...but I don't remember what it was now,
and I am ashamed to say I never bought a copy of Sass...
If you do find out what other dyes work for starch, I'd
love to know.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479