virus on Fast Plants?

Sandra Newell sjnewell at grove.iup.edu
Tue Mar 14 14:04:53 EST 2000

We use Wisconsin Fast Plants for two different laboratory exercises.
Recently we have been having trouble with them; they contract some sort of
disease.  I have used flypaper traps to look for thrips and/ or aphids -
nothing there.  All the materials used for the lab are cleaned and soaked in
10% bleach solution the week before the lab.  The students are asked to wash
their hands before handling any of the materials.  The two different lab
exercises are in different rooms and different semesters, but the disease
occurs in both.  I think the disease on the plants is a virus, although I
haven't confirmed that.  Has anyone else had problems such as this?  I'm
almost to the point of replacing the labs if I can't control this disease.
Thanks for your input.  Sandy

Dr. Sandra J. Newell
Department of Biology
Indiana University of Pennsylvania