virus on Fast Plants?

Beth Ann Workmaster bworkmas at students.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 15 09:33:25 EST 2000

>We use Wisconsin Fast Plants for two different laboratory exercises.
>Recently we have been having trouble with them; they contract some sort of
>disease.  I have used flypaper traps to look for thrips and/ or aphids -
>nothing there.  All the materials used for the lab are cleaned and soaked in
>10% bleach solution the week before the lab.  The students are asked to wash
>their hands before handling any of the materials.  The two different lab
>exercises are in different rooms and different semesters, but the disease
>occurs in both.  I think the disease on the plants is a virus, although I
>haven't confirmed that.  Has anyone else had problems such as this?  I'm
>almost to the point of replacing the labs if I can't control this disease.
>Thanks for your input.  Sandy
>
>Dr. Sandra J. Newell
>Department of Biology
>Indiana University of Pennsylvania
>975 Oakland Ave.
>Indiana, PA 15705
>email:  sjnewell at grove.iup.edu
>---

I don't know about this particular problem with Fast Plants, but I do have
the contact info for the WFP program:  email: wfp at fastplants.cals.wisc.edu,
and web:  http://fastplants.cals.wisc.edu .  There is also apparently an
electronic discussion list.  If you can not identify the problem, maybe you
could obtain new seed, rather than replacing the labs?
Beth

Beth Ann A. Workmaster
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Horticulture