H2O comes out of PS?

Gerald F. Deitzer gd3 at umail.umd.edu
Thu Mar 16 12:28:59 EST 2000

Hi John, Scott et al.,

Sorry to be so late in adding my two cents worth to this discussion, but I
just want to clarify one thing to perhaps remove some of the
oversimplification.

Neither equation is correct, but both are correct, depending on what you want
to explain.  The fact is that the 12 water molecules that are split in PSII to
produce 6 molecules of Oxygen and twelve molecules of NADPH2, all come from
the thylakoid (light) reactions and there is no generation of water in the
stromal (Calvin Cycle) reactions.  The only place water is generated is in the
mitochondria during respiration.  Water participates in many biochemical
reactions, but has nothing to do with the current equation.  In fact, it gets
worse if you try to account for all of the water in photosynthesis, because
the fixation of CO2 to RubP takes H2O as well as CO2.  However, it is only the
water molecules split in PSII that you should be concerned with.

Stop trying to balance an oversimplified equation as if the CO2 molecules all
polymerized with water to make a C6H12O6 molecule.  This  never happens!  The
closest you come to a hexose sugar is Fructose-6-Phosphate which is C6H11O5P
(close enough) or about 1/2 of a sucrose molecule (C12H22O11) that is made in
the cytoplasm.

I suggest that you leave the equation as:

6 CO2 + 12 H2O ---> C6H12O6 + 6 O2

or stop trying to fit everything into this equation and separate the equation
into:

1) 12 H2O + 12 NADP + 18 ADP + 18 Pi ---> 6 O2 + 12 NADPH2 + 18 ATP

2.) 6 CO2 + 12 NADPH2 + 18 ATP -----> C6H12O6 + 12 NADP + 18 ADP + 18 Pi

Add these two together and you wind up with the first equation.  Of course you
will still have to explain how you arrived at these two equations and why you
don't have to worry about the other 6 H2O molecules.  Good luck.

Gerry Deitzer