photosynthesis lab

N. Harrison vulpia at sonic.net
Thu Mar 16 13:11:52 EST 2000

On 15 Mar 2000 21:59:14 -0000, jfh30 at cus.cam.ac.uk (John Hewitson)
wrote:

> In my teaching laboratory I have a leaf with an iodine / starch positive
>from an old b/w negative which I mounted between plastic (OHP) sheets and
>sealed the edges with sellotape.  It has survived for years and I keep it
>in reserve to pass round as "Here's one I prepared earlier."
>
>> Maybe it's the boiling in alcohol that helps them keep - you
>>might not have wanted to do this in a 4th grade class! - NH
>
>My leaf is also a geranium leaf and I DID boil it in alcohol first - so I
>guess Nancy could be right.
>
>Dr. John Hewitson (Oundle School)
>Bramston Garden Cottage, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 4BG UK
>Phone and Fax +44 (0) 1832 272209
>email john_hewitson at breathe.co.uk
>
>---

John, that idea about mounting between plastic sheets is great!
We often have to "share" leaves between the majors and
non-majors classes, when they are all doing PSN at the
same time (we have only one geranium plant, usually.)
But could you tell me what "OHP" plastic is?

  On a similar note, I have found that Lycopodium,
not available in Calif, if brought back fresh from the
Eastern US, will keep its green color if stored in a
sealable plastic baggie (like from the supermarket).
We have one that has lasted 2 years, anyway.
--Cheers! NH
Nancy Harrison
T.A.Botany at Santa Rosa Jr.College
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/index.html
Milo Baker Chapter, California Native Plant Society
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/cnps/mbaker.html