peach trees

eghanki at attglobal.net eghanki at attglobal.net
Sat Mar 18 05:24:00 EST 2000

Never pruned? Doesn't sound right to me. I had a couple of ornamental peach
trees in Texas that would have grown completely out of control without
pruning. I have heard, however, that they are susceptible to gum disease and
insects, so you might want to take precautions as far as keeping your tools
clean and painting over wounds. To tell the truth, though, I was never very
consciencious about pruning hygiene and it didn't seem to make any
difference. My understanding is that peach trees grow very fast but
generally don't live much longer than 10 years or so. One of my trees died
about 4 years after I planted the seedling and the other was still quite
healthy (and big, for a peach tree) at about 12 years after planting when I
left Texas.