peach trees

N. Harrison vulpia at sonic.net
Sat Mar 18 12:02:16 EST 2000

Never pruning peach trees doesn't sound right to me either. When I
lived in the Calif Central Valley, where peaches are grown
commercially, pruning was very important for fruit production.
Peaches (as I recall) bear flowers on new wood each year.
(They are unlike apples in this respect, which flower from
old "spurs"). So if you never prune, and the tree keeps
making new long branchlets, the tree will eventually look
like it is having a Bad Hair Day. <g>
  Why not let the tree grow a couple of years to get form
and structure, then start looking to prune out old wood?
-NH

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 02:24:00 -0800, <eghanki at attglobal.net> wrote:

>Never pruned? Doesn't sound right to me. I had a couple of ornamental peach
>trees in Texas that would have grown completely out of control without
>pruning. I have heard, however, that they are susceptible to gum disease and
>insects, so you might want to take precautions as far as keeping your tools
>clean and painting over wounds. To tell the truth, though, I was never very
>consciencious about pruning hygiene and it didn't seem to make any
>difference. My understanding is that peach trees grow very fast but
>generally don't live much longer than 10 years or so. One of my trees died
>about 4 years after I planted the seedling and the other was still quite
>healthy (and big, for a peach tree) at about 12 years after planting when I
>left Texas.
>

>joanna wrote in message ...
>>would any one know if I should prune our  first year peach tree this
>spring?
>>I have heard  from an unreliable source that peach trees should never be
>>pruned...
>>thank you
>>Joanna

Nancy Harrison
T.A.Botany at Santa Rosa Jr.College
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/index.html
Milo Baker Chapter, California Native Plant Society
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/cnps/mbaker.html