peach trees

William J. Marose wjmarose at umd5.umd.edu
Sun Mar 19 20:47:38 EST 2000

Pruning peach trees is very important.  Once a peach tree gets out of hand
due to improper pruning its production is greatly reduced.  In the eastern
US ( I am an agricultural consultant in Maryland) most commercial growers
prune trees in what is called an open center.  There are 3-4 main scaffold
limbs about waist to chest high branching out so the center of the tree is
open to the sun light.  This is the direct opposite way that apple trees
are pruned.  Most eastern apples are pruned with a central leader.

There is great discussion and consternation as how to correctly prune a
peach tree.  Some growers that I work with (with more that 20 years
experience  growing peaches) still are not sure that they are pruning
correctly.

The first year you should be concerned with getting the tree
established.  Prune off any suckers and cut back the leader at
transplanting.  Cut back any long and lanky branches.  I am told that you
should try to picture the way you want the tree to look in the future and
start forming the tree to this image.  The second and third year's pruning
is important in shaping the tree.

Bill Marose
Marose Ag-Consulting