changing standards in required courses

Wilson Crone cronewil at hvcc.edu
Wed Mar 22 16:17:51 EST 2000

Hi--we here in SUNY (State University of New York) land are facing big
changes in upcoming general education requirements.  Students will now
need only take a single 3 hour science class as part of their gen ed
requirements for graduation.  Before commenting on the thinking behind
this, I wanted to hear from those in the group who have faced similar
minimal science requirements from their students and their departmental
biology courses?  Did you try to "toe the line" and try to get all
students to take a general bio with lab?  What has worked and what
hasn't?  I figured that this would be an appropriate followup to our
Thanks for your thoughts.  Bill Crone

Right now, it looks like we're going to try to keep general biology with
lab as our main course, but we will need to see where enrollment ends
up.

Wilson Crone
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology