text request

Douglas Jensen doug.jensen at Converse.edu
Fri Mar 24 14:13:43 EST 2000

I'm asking for opinions and suggestions on a text for a class I will be
teaching this summer.

It is Field Botany, for graduate students.  Most of them will be MEd.'s,
working on their initial certification in teaching natural science or
biology.  I have a good lending library for them:  Radford's Flora plus
other floras (is it florae?) and field guides.
Right now, I'm looking for a book that can help them identify families,
but the only two I have are quite old, and I know at least one has an
out of date taxonomy.  I have:
Smith, J.P. 1977.  Vascular Plant Families.  Mad River Press.
and
Baumgardt, J.P. 1982.  How to Identify Flowering Plant Families.  Timber
Press.

Either of these would do for me, but I wonder if any of you have
knowledge of more recent books that are good or whether you have
experiences and strong opinions with either of the Smith or the
Baumgardt book.

thanks,

Doug

--