text request

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 24 18:15:46 EST 2000

We are using Vascular Plant Taxonomy by Walters and Keil, 4th ed.  It
is up to date, easy to read, and fairly comprehensive--i.e., does a
good job presenting common families of the N. Temperate region.
Includes chapters on techniques and concepts of systematics, basic
plant anatomy, and collecting and keying.  About $40 in paper.

The Smith you mention is good, and still good for the basics, but W&K
is better.  It even gets into some of the realignment of families and
subclasses that is the result of DNA work and not just traditional
morphological studies.

Monique Reed