C3/C4 and starch

Janice M. Glime jmglime at mtu.edu
Sat Mar 25 13:03:23 EST 2000

Dear Plant-edders,
  It occurred to me that starch testing might be a good way to reinforce
the concepts of C3 and C4 plants using wheat and corn.  Has anyone done
this?  I have not tried grasses and wonder how difficult it is to get good
starch stains in a leaf with so much sclerenchyma around its veins and (I
am assuming) silica around the bundles.  Does anyone have a working
protocol for demonstrating the position of the starch in these two
species?
Thanks,
Janice (who is revising a course for change from quarters to semesters)
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University
 Houghton, MI 49931-1295