Fw: Insectivorous plants

Gantt Boswell gant at communique.net
Mon Mar 27 11:12:31 EST 2000

Hi David,
   I'm a grad student at Tulane working with pitcher plants.
   The general consensus is that carnivorous plants get mainly N and P from
prey, possibly some cations like Ca Mg, and maybe micronutrients like Mo.
Many do produce digestive enzymes but certainly bacterial decomposition of
captured prey is also important. They still need to fix CO2 through
photosynthesis though. There are a few reports of plants that can live on
insect prey alone with no soil nutrient input, but they're all autotrophs.
Heterotrophic C acquisition is controversial and the mainstream consensus is
that it doesn't occur - but who knows?
   Hope this helps.
Gantt Boswell