faculty interviews

jperry at uwc.edu jperry at uwc.edu
Tue Mar 28 10:15:21 EST 2000

My campus is very teaching/undergraduate education centered. And we have a
strong tradition of shared governance. As such, our appointments committee
has student representation, but I am disheartened with the level and quality
of participation by the student rep.

I once interviewed at an institution where I gave a lecture to an entire
biology class. I like the idea, because it seems to empower students, and it
also sort of "puts our money where our mouth is" if we really do value
student opinion. But how does one get decent student feedback from a process
such as I envision? Do any of you have large groups of students participate
in interviews for new faculty? Do you have a form that students use to
provide the committee and other with feedback?

jim

James W. Perry
CEO/Campus Dean
University of Wisconsin-Fox Valley