faculty interviews

David Starrett starrett at cstl.semo.edu
Tue Mar 28 11:55:19 EST 2000

At 09:15 AM 3/28/00, you wrote:
>My campus is very teaching/undergraduate education centered. And we have a
>strong tradition of shared governance. As such, our appointments committee
>has student representation, but I am disheartened with the level and quality
>of participation by the student rep.
>
>I once interviewed at an institution where I gave a lecture to an entire
>biology class. I like the idea, because it seems to empower students, and it
>also sort of "puts our money where our mouth is" if we really do value
>student opinion. But how does one get decent student feedback from a process
>such as I envision? Do any of you have large groups of students participate
>in interviews for new faculty? Do you have a form that students use to
>provide the committee and other with feedback?
In the Biology Dept here we have the job seminar given at a student level
and in a teaching-oriented format.  Students as well as faculty attend
(students are often earning bonus points form a bio class to
attend).  Students are asked their opinion of the candidates from a
student/learner point of view.  We recently had an instance where all us
faculty got excited about a candidate while students were weary of his
teaching style.  We hired him, he is not doing well in the classroom, we
shoulda listened to the students!

Dave Starrett

/^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\
|  Dr. David Starrett, Director                        |
|  Center for Scholarship in Teaching and Learning     |
|  MS 4650, 1 University Plaza                         |
|  Southeast Missouri State University                 |
|  Cape Girardeau, MO 63701                 \          |
|  Ph: (573) 651-2298                       /\         |
|  Fax: (573) 986-6858                     (__)        |
|  email: starrett at cstl.semo.edu                       |
|  WWW: http://biology.semo.edu/starrett/starrhpg.html |