faculty interviews

Lee Hadden hadden at wingate.edu
Tue Mar 28 12:28:01 EST 2000

We have typically had candidates present a sample lecture in an appropriate class.
All of the bio faculty sit in with the regular students enrolled in the class.
Later the candidate presents a seminar on their research for faculty and any
students we can cajole [threaten] into coming.  [It's really not that sinister, but
coming back to an afternoon or evening presentation is sometimes logistically
difficult or simply not appealing.  We do let them know that we are "impressed" by
their extra efforts when they are demonstrated and that their participation and
insight are valuable in our decision making process.]     Invitations are also sent
to faculty in all departments as well as to all administrators.

Afterwards, especially after the sample lecture the candidate gives, we talk to the
students individually about their impressions.   When the candidate is hired, we
find there is quicker student adjustment to the new faculty member in their first
semester with us.   Virtually all students except the incoming freshmen know the new
person by name.

We pick some of the better students to have lunch with the candidate.   There are no
faculty present at that meal so any and all questions and responses can be dealt
with without concern for faculty-induced bias.   Again, we solicit student opinion
aftwards [as well as candidate opinion re the students].

Dr. E. Lee Hadden
Professor and Chair
Department of Biology
Wingate University
Wingate, NC  28174

hadden at wingate.edu
office: 704-233-8238
fax:  704-233-8233

I also interviewed at institutions where I lectured as part of ongoing classes.