faculty interviews

Christopher T. Cole colect at mrs.umn.edu
Thu Mar 30 12:49:30 EST 2000

Jim--

UMM is strictly undergrads, with a strong tradition of democracy among
faculty & students.  For each hiring, there is a student on the committee
(as a full fledged member, and they are _very_ responsible, diligent, &
valuable members; they are not picked randomly, but are among our best).
We have the candidates give a seminar, telling them that the audience will
be upper-level majors and faculty from other disciplines.  Students also
participate by taking the candidate on a tour around campus, and students
have lunch with the candidate (no faculty along).  We also have times for
faculty and students to meet informally with candidates.

So we watch how the candidate interacts with students (does s/he pay
attention to them?  Ask questions of them?  What is the "chemistry"?).  We
seek feedback from the students who come to all of these occasions,
especially those that meet with all of the candidates.

Results:
1) Strong uniformity among student responses
2) High similarity between student and faculty impressions
3) Strong relationship between student responses during the interview
day(s) and the subsequent years after the faculty member is hired.

It's valuable and it works.

Regards,
Chris Cole

At 04:15 PM 28-03-00 +0100, jperry at uwc.edu wrote:
>My campus is very teaching/undergraduate education centered. And we have a
>strong tradition of shared governance. As such, our appointments committee
>has student representation, but I am disheartened with the level and quality
>of participation by the student rep.
>
>I once interviewed at an institution where I gave a lecture to an entire
>biology class. I like the idea, because it seems to empower students, and it
>also sort of "puts our money where our mouth is" if we really do value
>student opinion. But how does one get decent student feedback from a process
>such as I envision? Do any of you have large groups of students participate
>in interviews for new faculty? Do you have a form that students use to
>provide the committee and other with feedback?
>
>jim
>
>James W. Perry
>CEO/Campus Dean
>University of Wisconsin-Fox Valley