faculty interviews

Janice M. Glime jmglime at mtu.edu
Thu Mar 30 14:25:47 EST 2000

  I have been on both faculty search committees and provost and
presidential search committees that had student input in various ways.
For the provost and presidential search committees, students were members
of the committee.  They had a voice and a vote.  Their opinions were
valued by the members of the committee, and the chair made sure they got
to state their views.  We also had open forums for the students and
committee members were present to hear the questions and responses, then
got feedback from the students.  I don't remember if we got written
comments from them or just a discussion - their representative on the
provost search committee certainly got discussion feedback from them, then
voted differently because she felt a different candidate was better.  She
had a real struggle deciding how to vote because her own perspective
differed from that of the students she was representing.  However, she
also had much more contact with the candidates and knew much more what was
required for the position.
  For our last departmental hire, each candidate was asked to make a
teaching presentation.  We targetted some students and asked them to come,
but I also offered extra credit for attendance, provided the students
provided me with a timely written report of their take on the candidate.
We provided some guidance on the kinds of things they needed to address,
but mostly we encouraged whatever comments they chose to make.  Those who
came to more than one seminar compared the candidates.  Students were
invited to a free lunch with the candidate if they came to the seminar. We
also had open time scheduled between the students and the candidates, with
graduate students scheduled separately from the undergraduates.  These
students were then invited to give us their comments in writing or by
email, as I recall.  Student comments were taken seriously as the
committee deliberated the candidates.

Janice
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences