I have a botany question.

Megan Syverson emailmesparingly at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 14:00:40 EST 2000

My botany professor instructed me to address my
question to plant-ed.  I am curious about root grafts,
and I would appreciate any response to my inquiry.  My
question is this:  I have learned about the
disadvantages of root grafting to trees; trees can
contract such diseases as Dutch Elm Disease, and can
support other trees that compete for their light.  Why
then, did trees develop such an adaptation; that is,
what advantages are there to root grafts?  Thank you
for taking the time to read this.
Sincerely,
Megan Syverson
Botany 130 student