root grafts; I have a botany question.

Monique Reed monique at mail.bio.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 31 14:50:36 EST 2000

Not all characters occur because they are useful.  Some occur because
they have not yet been strongly selected against.  And remember, the
development of a trait isn't a directed process; there's no "it would
be beneficial to acquire trait X"  Rather, trait X is present and it
either does or does not help an organism or a species to pass on its
genes to more offspring.

As far as I know, root grafting occurs just because the tissue
structure of roots is the way it is.  Where compatible roots touch,
they are capable of growing together.  (In the same way, the structure
of the cambium layer in dicot stems allows stem grafts.) I don't think
I've ever read of any benefit to the plants involved unless maybe
interconnected roots make individual trees less susceptible to blowing
over.  It is known that plants under stress release chemicals that can
signal other plants to prepare for or repel pests.  Perhaps root
grafts allow the exchange of these chemical signals.  Has anyone here
read anything to that effect in a trustworthy article?

M. Reed