forensic botany

jperry at jperry at
Thu May 11 13:38:06 EST 2000

I believe the first step would to become a broadly educated botanist, with a
lot of coursework in taxonomy, biogeography, and plant anatomy. My major
professor has done a bit of work in this field, serving as an expert witness
in a baby food (!) litigation. He's a plant anatomist.

It's unclear to me what role molecular biology is playing in forensic
botany, but I would imagine these modern techniques are becoming more

-----Original Message-----
From: RFisher at [mailto:RFisher at]
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2000 12:52 PM
To: plant-ed at
Subject: forensic botany

Dear plant-ed folks:

I have a student who is interested in forensic botany.  How would she get a
start in this field?  She's a very good student and is planning on going to
graduate school with this field in mind but she's unsure of where to start.

Roxanne H. Fisher                                  rfisher at
Assistant Professor of Biology                  phone (412)365-1893
Chatham College                                     fax (412)365-1505
Woodland Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15232