homework issues

Wilson Crone cronewil at hvcc.edu
Wed Nov 1 16:38:57 EST 2000

I give take-home assignments in my classes here at HVCC.  These are usually open-ended
questions that can be answered in a variety of ways, and as I tell students, I am more
interested in their thought approach and the support they give to their answers.  These
assignments depend on the class, but often require reading a short article as a
springboard to the questions asked.  As an example, I am currently having invertebrate
zoology students read a section from Steve Vogel's "Cats Claws and Catapults" to
comment on biological design in a reasonably directed fashion.  I'd be happy to give
examples of these mini-essays if anyone's interested.   Bill Crone, HVCC Biology

Wilson Crone
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology
Hudson Valley Community College